Citizenship an issue as spaza shop registration deadline looms


Out of nearly 1,000 applications submitted, only 100 spaza shop owners have been approved to continue operating their businesses in the Buffalo City Metro (BCM).

City spokesperson, Samkelo Ngwenya, explained that many applicants are foreign nationals with asylum-seeking status, which complicates the process as businesses in South Africa must have valid visas or permits.
The rush to register informal businesses comes after President Cyril Ramaphosa’s call for action following several child deaths linked to unsafe snacks sold by informal traders. Spaza shop owners were given a 21-day deadline to register their businesses, which ends on Tuesday, 17 December.

Ngwenya reported that around 1,000 applications have been received since the President's appeal on November 16. He estimates that about 2,000 informal shops operate in the region, with over 500 shut down for non-compliance with regulations since last year.
A key issue raised by the city is the citizenship status of many applicants. "Most applicants are foreign nationals using asylum-seeking identification, which makes it difficult for the city to accept their applications, as business permits are typically issued to individuals with valid visas," Ngwenya said. He added that the Metro is raising this concern on intergovernmental platforms to find a solution.

Another challenge is the increasing number of spaza shops run from containers in residential yards. During a multi-department committee meeting on Friday, it was revealed that current metro documentation does not allow containers to be used for business purposes. “There is a need for a policy and council resolution to address this issue in the by-laws,” Ngwenya said.

In response to concerns that foreign nationals have dominated spaza shop businesses, the metro is working to ensure that at least 50 spaza shops in the region are owned by local youth by next year. Ngwenya mentioned that 22 young people have already been trained and are preparing to apply for funding in January.
BCM has been conducting joint operations since 2022 to enforce compliance with regulations, particularly as the number of spaza shops has rapidly increased. Many of these businesses have been operating without the necessary permits, prompting the Metro to provide clear guidelines on how to comply.

To meet compliance, spaza shops must have:
•    Valid identification documents (ID or passport) for the person(s) in charge of the premises.
•    Valid company registration (CIPC) documents.
•    Valid tax compliance, fire competence certificates, and business licenses.

As of this week, the BCM has processed the following applications:
•    City Planning: One application for a five-year temporal departure/zoning.
•    Municipal Health Services: 646 applications for Certificates of Acceptability, with 103 issued.
•    Local Economic Development: 61 applications for business licenses, with 59 issued.

Ngwenya urged spaza shop owners to meet the registration requirements, warning that those who fail to comply risk having their businesses shut down.


China wants its major companies to move operations to South Africa


China is encouraging its electrical vehicle manufacturers to invest in South Africa as it seeks to broaden ties between the two nations.We encourage the Chinese companies to consider, very seriously consider, to move some of their assembly lines or value added in South Africa, the Asian nations ambassador to South Africa Wu Peng said in a Bloomberg interview in Johannesburg on Wednesday.Peng tempered his comment by noting that market conditions would play an important role in such decisions. China is South Africas biggest trading partner and the worlds leader in EVs, an industry the African nation is seeking to grow into.China is encouraging its electrical vehicle manufacturers to invest in South Africa as it seeks to broaden ties between the two nations.We encourage the Chinese companies to consider, very seriously consider, to move some of their assembly lines or value added in South Africa, the Asian nations ambassador to South Africa Wu Peng said in a Bloomberg interview in Johannesburg on Wednesday.Peng tempered his comment by noting that market conditions would play an important role in such decisions. China is South Africas biggest trading partner and the worlds leader in EVs, an industry the African nation is seeking to grow into.South Africas automotive industry, which accounted for more than R271 billion in exports last year, currently depends on shipments to the European Union, where legislation is expected to gradually reduce demand for vehicles that run on diesel and gasoline.While the South African government announced in February that automakers will be allowed to claim a 150% tax deduction on investment in facilities to manufacture EVs, details of the plan have yet to be released.Chinese companies operating in South Africa are also expected to expand cooperation in critical areas such as infrastructure, new energy and mineral processing, Peng said in an address ahead of the interview attended by dignitaries.Chinese companies invested in South Africa include Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd., Hisense South Africa, Zijin Mining Group Co. and ZTE Corp. Im convinced that in the future, more and more Chinese enterprises will come to South Africa, invest in South Africa, and build for South Africa, Peng said.Together, China and South Africa can further unlock market potential.

Money recovered from criminals to fund BMA acquisitions

The newest addition to South Africas security architecture â the Border Management Authority (BMA)  is, by the admission of the responsible Cabinet minister, under-funded, and it looks to use an approved R150 million for what is termed critical special capital equipment.The equipment comprises unspecified vehicles and vessels worth R76 million; firearms and ammunition to the value of R21 million, and R51 million worth of technical safety and security equipment.This was revealed to Action SA National Assembly (NA) Whip Lerato Ngobeni by Home Affairs Minister Leon Schreiber in a parliamentary reply. The acquisitions will be financed by funding accessed from CARA (Criminal Assets Recovery Account). The BMA requested R500 million in CARA funding but was only granted R150 million.The specified resources are not sufficient to effectively manage and secure the borders of the Republic, Schreiber said in his reply to Ngobeni.Speaking at last months Border Management Conference and Expo, Schreiber told delegates the BMA was short of R4.3 billion and another eight thousand personnel to properly to its job. He laid the shortfall partially at the door of state capture, which peaked during the Jacob Zuma presidency, and corruption.On our journey to combat illegal immigration, restore the rule of law and facilitate the economic growth and job creation that flows from secure and streamlined border management, we require a number of critical ingredients, he said, adding the BMA under the leadership of Mike Masiapato was making meaningful strides.On personnel he told the conference the BMA currently had 2 700 of the officials it needed to properly do its work.In his reply to Ngobeni, Schreiber said there is a total of 672 border law enforcement officers deployed along the border of South Africa at vulnerable areas. 616 are deployed at vulnerable areas of the land borders and 56 at maritime border areas. These BMA personnel are backed up by 4 354 South African Police Service personnel and 2 337 South African National Defence Force personnel.In addition to the strategic reallocation of resources, the BMA has strengthened collaboration with other border law enforcement entities through joint operations. This increased cooperation aims to enhance visibility and presence in vulnerable areas, thereby bolstering overall border security efforts. Despite these initiatives, ongoing resource constraints remain a challenge that must be address to ensure the BMA can fully deliver on its responsibilities, Schreiber told Ngobeni in another reply.The equipment the BMA border guards have available to use includes 22 quad bikes, 127 9 mm pistols, four rifles, 26 motorcycles, 44 patrol vehicles, and 22 prison vans. Another 400 pistols are to be distributed.Armscor has issued a number of tenders on behalf of the BMA for equipment including bullet resistant vests, gloves, and boarding/reaction boats.

SIU dismisses claims its conducting audit of marriage certificates of foreigners


Between July and September 2024, the Department of Home Affairs finalised 31 disciplinary cases against its officials. The Special Investigating Unit (SIU) has dismissed a social media post claiming that it is conducting a nationwide audit of the Department of Home Affairs, covering all asylum, refugee, work, business, study, permanent resident permits and marriage certificates for all foreigners from 2004 to 2024. This claim is incorrect, said the SIU on Sunday. Although the SIU is investigating allegations of maladministration at the department, it is focusing on the issuance of Permanent residence permits, Corporate visas, Business visas, Critical/exceptional skills work visas, Study visas, Retired persons visas, Work visas and Citizenship by naturalisation. These investigations pertain to potential contraventions of the Immigration Act, 2002, and the South African Citizenship Act, 1995.The SIU urges the public not to share unverified information. Please verify accuracy through our official website and social media accounts. Sharing false information can cause confusion and harm. For accurate updates, rely on official SIU communication channels. SIU and Home Affairs On 19 February, President Cyril Ramaphosa has signed a proclamation authorizing the SIU to investigate allegations of serious maladministration in the affairs of Home Affairs and improper or unlawful conduct by officials or employees of the State entities, and to recover any financial losses suffered by the State. The SIU will also investigate improper or unlawful conduct by officials or employees of Home Affairs in relation to the installation of T200 firewalls. The Proclamation covers allegations of unlawful and improper conduct that took place between 12 October 2004 and 16 February 2024, the date of the publication of the Proclamation or before 12 October 2004 and after the date of the Proclamation that are relevant to, connected with, incidental to the matters or involves the same persons, entities or contracts investigated. Officials bust Between July and September 2024, the Department of Home Affairs finalised 31 disciplinary cases against its officials. According to spokesperson Siya Qoza, the disciplinary cases resulted in a range of sanctions. These include criminal prosecution, dismissal, suspension without pay and final written warnings. The officials faced transgressions relating to irregular recruitment, violation of the Citizenship Act and the violation of the Immigration Act. Eight of these cases came from the Free State, while six came from KwaZulu-Natal. One of the includes that of an official who failed to abide by the required standards of ethical conduct. His trial is set to start on 6 November, facing fraud charges. The official was dismissed from the department last year after the conclusion of disciplinary processes. He was implicated by the Counter-Corruption Branch in multiple fraudulent transactions that benefitted mostly Pakistani nationals. He allegedly committed fraud by manipulating the systems Home Affairs uses to administer immigration.

SA travel agents face a disappointing December


As end-of-year travel draws near, South African travel agents have reported a particularly disappointing high season.
The consensus is that a shift has taken place in the industry this December holiday season, and some agents are seeing an alarming lack of bookings.

“I don’t have a single December package booked for this year. Not one. And it’s the first time in ten years. I don’t know why,” said travel agent A (who preferred to remain anonymous). She said the problem began around April or May this year, when bookings for December usually start.

While travel agent A hypothesised that this lack of travel during peak season might be due to the American elections or global conflicts around the world, she noted that prices were simply “ridiculously expensive”.
Travel agent B agreed. “I’ve been an ITC for 20 years and I just find that a lot of my repeat clients that would normally travel every December said ‘no’ this year. It’s just got so expensive, they’re going to skip this year and do something local, and I don’t do local,” she said. Even for clients that booked in advance, prices were still unaffordable for many, she added.

“You can actually see it if you look at the flights that are available. I changed one of my client’s flights from December 3 to later and the flights were all open. I had another client booking to go to Australia on December 22 and there were lots of flights available.”
In previous years, this would have been impossible, according to this agent. Travel agent A added that there were still seats available for Mauritius, traditionally one of the top sellers for the December season, as well as domestic flights.

This price hike has mainly impacted families going on December holidays, according to agent B. “You’re always going to have your solo travellers or your professional person who’s got money in the bank, but for families it really hits them hard.”
Travel agent C said she had managed to weather the storm by specialising in a particular niche, but there were definitely fewer bookings than usual for the high season. “Let me say, there’s a lot less money around with more expectations.”
She said she had seen an increase in people who were on the fence as to whether or not they could afford to travel in December this year, and these types of clients were choosing to skip their December holiday plans.

Travel agent B said the dynamic was making the travel industry a highly competitive environment to work in at the moment. “It’s creating this situation where people shop around from five agents at a time and if one’s R100 cheaper, they’re going to go with that one. I’m very fortunate to have repeat clients and years behind my back, but there are a lot of agents out there that are new in the industry so when they come in, they're cut-throat. They’re willing to do whatever they need to do to get the booking.”
Travel agent A said the lack of bookings, and therefore a lack of income, was spoiling the Christmas season. “It’s not helping us feel festive. It’s not helping us agents feel relaxed. I haven’t even bothered to put up a tree.”