Home Affairs sting: Woman arrested over alleged `ghost child` fake death scam

A KwaZulu-Natal woman allegedly tried to bribe an official who confronted her about the ghost scam. A 35-year-old woman was arrested on Wednesday at the Home Affairs office in Pietermaritzburg for allegedly registering the fake death of a `ghost child`. She was arrested in a joint sting operation between police and the Department of Home Affairs` counter-corruption and security team, during which she was recorded allegedly offering an employee a bribe. News24 understands the woman was allegedly motivated by a R50 000 funeral cover.A woman allegedly planning to cash in on a R50 000 funeral cover was arrested for submitting fraudulent documents to register the death of a `ghost child` at the Home Affairs office in Pietermaritzburg on Wednesday.The woman also allegedly tried to bribe an official who confronted her about the scam.Police spokesperson Colonel Robert Netshiunda confirmed that a 35-year-old woman was arrested for fraud and bribery and said she would appear in the Pietermaritzburg Magistrate`s Court soon.News24 understands that the woman attempted to register the death of a child whose last name was different from hers. However, when the Home Affairs employee assisting her asked her questions about it, she began shaking.Her `hesitant demeanour` made the official suspicious.A reliable source told News24 that when the woman failed to provide the employee with the details of the deceased child`s mother, she allegedly confessed that she had bought the fraudulent documentation and wanted the death certificate so she could claim a R50 000 funeral cover.The woman then apparently offered the official a R9 900 bribe for his silence.Department of Home Affairs spokesperson Cyril Mncwabe told News24 that the employee alerted his superior and was asked to cooperate in a sting operation.`When registering a death, there are documents that one brings in, and there are requirements,` said Mncwabe  `On investigation and after some questioning, it was discovered that the woman was trying to register a ghost child as deceased. When confronted about this, she offered the office manager a bribe to turn a blind eye and release her from the office. `The office manager then contacted the department`s counter corruption and security team, housed at that very office building. That was how a trap was put in place for her. The plan was for the office manager to receive this money, but this would happen under police [watch] so that the whole operation could be finalised with an arrest.`He said that when police were involved, the office manager recorded his interaction with the woman, who was heard offering him a bribe, and she was arrested.Mncwabe said:Through the department`s counter corruption and security team, we have had a number of successful apprehensions, including those who have come to our offices to register fraudulent deaths, register non-existing children for the purposes of accessing child support grants, as well as people who have come to register for an ID where we have picked up that the ID number on the birth certificates do not belong to them. He said about 10 people had been arrested for attempting to register fraudulent deaths, and about 10 people had been arrested for trying to register the birth of `ghost children`.Mncwabe said the unit`s notable success was the conviction of those involved in a passport photo-swapping ring.`One of our officials involved was sentenced to 10 years and above; some members of the public, including foreign nationals that had assisted in this passport photo swapping scam, were also convicted and sentenced this year.`

Ireland Grants 3,400 Work Permits to Workers in Agriculture Sector So Far in 2024


Key Takeaways The Irish authorities have issued 3,400 work permits to foreign workers in the agricultural sector between January and November of 2024. Health and social care workers obtained 32.1 per cent of all employment permits in Ireland. Indians and Brazilians led the list of nationalities that were granted most employment permits.The Irish Department of Trade and Employment (DETE) in Ireland has issued 3,400 work permits to foreign workers in the agricultural sector, with the highest number of these permits being issued in February (591), while November marks the lowest record (141).- Advertisement -According to a press release by DETE, the number of work permits issued to agricultural workers represents a small portion of the foreign workers that obtained employment permits between January and November 2024, Schengen.News reports.Around 9.4 per cent of all employment permits granted so far this year were allocated to agriculture, forestry and fishing, which are quite developed and common among Irish workers.Ireland Issues Over 30,000 Permits for Employment Purposes in 2024The authorities have confirmed that in the eleven months of the year, a total of 36,402 work permits were granted   3,289 or nine per cent of which were approved in November alone.The majority of work permits were granted to workers in health and social work, representing 11,694 or 32.1 per cent of all work permits issued, followed by information and communication activities, accounting for 17 per cent of the total.Last year, the Irish government announced that annual salaries for workers in meat processing and horticulture would increase from  30,000 to  32,000 in January 2025.The proposed January 2025 increases to minimum salary thresholds will be deferred, pending the outcome of this review. DETE Spokesperson Top 10 Nationalities With Most Employment Permits to Ireland This YearAccording to data published by DETE, nationalities from the Asian, African and South American regions are most common when it comes to applying for employment permits.Between January and November of 2024, Ireland granted most employment permits to the nationalities as found below:1.Indians2.Brazilians3.Filipinos4.Chinese5.Pakistanis6.South Africans7.Americans8.Zimbabweians9.Nigerians10.Malaysians Indians were granted 12,498 work permits, which represents 31.4 per cent of all permits granted in this sector and at the same time being the largest nationality group that obtained most work permits. Second to follow were Brazilians, with 4,320 permits, with rejection rates being slightly higher than other nationalities  12 per cent or 578.Filipinos obtained 3,760 or 94 per cent of the number of work permits they applied for, followed by Chinese (1,760), Pakistanis (1,600), South Africans (1,509), Americans(1,031), Zimbabweans (908), Nigerians (909) and Malaysians (620).

SA`s porous borders | Taxi driver arrested for smuggling illegal foreign nationals

JOHANNESBURG  The Border Management Authority is on high alert. This after a taxi driver was arrested for trying to smuggle 25 undocumented foreigners from Zimbabwe to South Africa. The passengers in the taxi included 20 children, who have since been taken to a place of safety. Jane Thupana, Deputy Commissioner of Corporate Affairs at the BMA, says there`s been a spike in the smuggling of illegal persons into the country.

Jackie Phamotse slams Ramaphosa over new Nigerian visa rules

Jackie Phamotse's letter to President Cyril Ramaphosa follows his announcement that he will make it easier for Nigerians to travel to South Africa.

Acclaimed author and controversial media personality Jackie Phamotse has expressed her opinions in an open letter addressed to President Cyril Ramaphosa.

This follows Ramaphosa’s announcement this week that he would make it easier for Nigerians to travel to South Africa.

Travelling made easier

Ramaphosa said: “As part of the work underway to modernise and streamline visa application processes worldwide, South African missions in Nigeria have improved the efficiency and convenience of applying for a visa.

“This is part of the visa reforms initiated by the South African government. It aims to enable economic activities and boost tourism while protecting our national security. The modernisation of the visa application process does not compromise the integrity of the visa system.

“Prospective travellers can apply for their visas without submitting their passports along with their applications. At the time of application, they are only required to submit certified copies of the biopage of their passports. And their actual passports should also be available during the application process for verification and confirmation. 

“Once a visa has been approved, they are required to submit their passports for the process to be completed, and for the visa to be affixed in the passport.

“These changes have improved the customer experience while ensuring the security and integrity of the overall visa application process,” said Ramaphosa.

Phamotse concerned about human trafficking

Phamotse was, however, not impressed. She expressed concerns regarding the nation’s increasing risk of gender-based violence (GBV), human trafficking, and other violent crimes.

She questioned Ramaphosa’s awareness of the serious issue of human trafficking in the country. Many victims fall prey to forced labour, sexual exploitation, and other forms of modern-day slavery, she said.

“It is heartbreaking to see that our constitutional rights are not being protected. And our communities continue to suffer from poverty and unemployment,” wrote Phamotse.

“The lack of job opportunities and the feeling of being ignored by the government have eroded our faith in your leadership.

“Mr president, I urge you to reconsider your decision and prioritise the safety and wellbeing of South African citizens.

“Our children deserve to grow up in a secure and stable environment, free from threats of violence and exploitation.”

Funding for law enforcement

Phamotse added that a strategy that tackles GBV, human trafficking, and other violent crimes must be in place.

In order to combat human trafficking and support victims, she suggested increasing funding for law enforcement and social services.

She also recommended awareness-raising and education initiatives to stop GBV and human trafficking.

The letter reads further: “Strengthening of border control measures to prevent the entry of criminals and traffickers.

“Additionally, I urge you to address the root causes of poverty and unemployment, which are often linked to crime and violence.

“I implore you to listen to the concerns of your citizens and take concrete actions to protect our rights and ensure our safety.

Over 51,000 spaza shops registered, 800 closed down as registration deadline looms

More than 51,000 spaza shops have been registered, while 800 have been closed down. 


A total of 51,788 spaza shops have been registered so far, with 800 shops closed down due to noncompliance, ANC secretary-general Fikile Mbalula said on Wednesday.

Addressing the media, he said 93% of spaza shops that have been closed down are foreign-owned.

The December 13 deadline for spaza shop registrations is fast approaching. Mbalula said spaza shops that are not compliant will face consequences.

“The spaza shops that are not compliant as per the president’s grace period should cease operating or face the law. We cannot watch while our children die and the local economy suffers as a result of lawlessness,” Mbalula said.

He said the time had come to enforce compliance more rigorously.

“We must not falter in ensuring that the laws of the country are fully implemented. This includes ensuring that no illegal immigrants are allowed to operate tuck shops. Those who are legally in the country, they must prove investment in the business of over R5m as required by law.”

Mbalula emphasised the government's commitment to reclaiming the township economy through spaza shops.

“We call on the government to employ additional inspectors to monitor the sector and ensure that it serves its intended purpose: empowering South Africans and restoring economic dignity to our communities.”

Mbalula assured immigrants residing in South Africa they were welcome, but warned that action would be taken against those who exploited South Africa's laws.

“South Africa is not a playground for lawlessness. Anyone who undermines our legal system or compromises the safety and economic opportunities of South Africans will face the full might of the law.

“This includes immigrants who engage in criminal activities and South Africans who enable this criminality by illegally registering businesses or aiding criminal behaviour, zama zamas, drug peddlers and drug laboratories and illegal immigrants.